Tuesday 11 March 2014

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa........

"सारे सूरों का है ये ही मिलन, गीतों से मेहका है सारा चमन, अपने होटों के नगमे सजाएं हुए, आओ सब मिल गाएं सा रे ".............
आरंभ (start) of a musical blog could not have been more musical than this. For a long time I have wished to write about music, something which I felt and still feel when I am surrounded by music but have not been able to translate into words. But it is rightly said that music does not have words or language. It's just what you feel. 

Their lies a tie between me and music ever since my childhood but it took me a while to realize it. I used to listen to the 'Old Hindi' songs that my father used to play on the gramophone. This is how I cultivated a passion in music. I have been learning Indian Classical Music for the past 6 years and have learnt about the origins of the 7 swaras. Now let me tell you something exciting about the swaras. 
Each swara is associated with one of the seven chakras of the body and depicts different animals.
1.     Sa Shadj - (षड्ज) six-born peacock-   (base of spine) Ganapati 
2.     Re Rishabha- (ऋषभ) bull skylark-  (genitals) Agni
3.     Ga Gandhara -(गान्धार) sky goat - (solar plexus and navel) Rudra (Shiva)
4.     Ma Madhyama -(मध्यम) middle dove/heron - (heart) Vishnu
5.     Pa Panchama -(पञ्चम) fifth cuckoo/nightingale - (throat) Naarada
6.     Dha Dhaivata- (धैवत) earth horse - (third eye) Sadasiva (Shiva) 
7.     Ni Nishadam -(निषाद) hunter elephant sahasrara (crown of the head) Surya (Sun)
There are 12 swars-
7 shudh-Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni
4 Komal swars- Re Ga Dha Ni- These notes are between 2 shudh swar for eg: komal Re comes between Sa and shudh Re i.e one note preceeding and one notes the swar itself

1 Tivra swar- Ma- This note comes between Shudh Ma and Pa 


OK, these were some of the facts about the origins of the base of music and I will be updating with more  musical knowledge.















      

2 comments:

  1. hey nice piece of writing dear ...best wishes for upcommin onez.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashishree. Will definitely upload soon...

      Delete