Saturday 22 March 2014

Sync with the tunes of Golden Era..............

Music for me is... 
M-MEDITATION in
U-UNITY with
S-SOUL providing
I-INSPIRATION to my
C-CREATIVITY

Take a music bath once or twice a week, you will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body’, nothing can be said so beautifully than this about music. Music is something with which I can spend many hours at a stretch; it helps me to think, be calm & make me creative. With the interest that I developed in music and the hours I spent with it has let me developed a knack for recognizing Bollywood songs set in a certain raaga. This makes it very interesting and helps me to learn the raagas in a creative way



When I was a child, I used to listen to the songs to the oldies which my father used to play on Gramophone. Thus, I grew up listening to the old songs of the golden era of 50s, 60s, etc. Being born in late 80s, it was a strong but tasty dose of music given to me by my father. Gradually, I developed interest in the music of the golden era and I am very thankful to my father for giving me this treasure of such antique musical pieces. The songs of this era were the perfect mix of lyrics, music and artists. These golden pieces were composed on the basis of different Raagas. These songs are the perfect examples of Melody. Melodies like ‘Deewana hua badal’,  'Rimzim gire saawan’ gives you a rhythmic touch and feeling that makes you want to emerge yourself in it. It is really a treasury for a music lover like me.

In my childhood, I was introduced to the songs of many musical legends- singers like Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Manna Dey, Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Talat Mahmood, Hemant Kumar, music directors like OP Nayyar, Shanker Jaikishan, Khayyam and my favourite R.D. Burman.


R.D. Burman was a retro composer. He was an innovative and creative person when it came to composing songs. He used many lesser known musical instruments and different orchestration technique in songs like, ‘O haseena julfon wali’ ’& Duniya me logon ko’. He gave melodies like ‘Aapki aankon me kuch mehke hue se raaz hai’, ‘Mera kuch saamaan’ which fall under the evergreen category. You can't find people who do not like these songs.

'Aapki aankon me kuch mehke hue se raaz hai' from the movie 'Ghar' sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar.





My favourite female singers are Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle. The name Lata Mangeshkar itself inspires music in people. Not a single person can imagine this music industry without the legendary Lata Mangeshkar. The main thing which makes me a fan of her is the scale at which she sings and the simplicity with which she sings complex songs like ' Prabhu tero naam jo dhaaye phal paaye'. 




Asha Bhosle is a versatile female singer in bollywood who can sing any song with ease, whether it be classical or soft music. Where her voice takes on ethereal quality while singing 'Dil  cheez kya hai ' from the movie 'Umaro Jaan' her voice also makes you dance to the tunes of 'Piya tu ab to aaja ' from the movie 'Caravan '. She has made a mark in every genre. Both of them had a different texture of voice which makes you forget everything.




As far as male singer is concerned, I like Kishore Kumar. One word to define him is versatility. He was not only a versatile singer but also a versatile person. He was a playback singer, actor, lyricist, composer, producer, director, screenplay writer and scriptwriterHis most remarkable talent is; he was not a trained classical singer but had given wonderful melodies in his magical voice. This is the perfect example of natural talent. 


My favourite songs of Kishore Kumar-- ‘Panchi hoon main us path ka’ from the movie 'Door ka Rahi '- This song was sung and composed by Kishore Kumar.



 ‘Kuch to log kahenge’ from 'Amar Prem '- The song has  amazing voice of Kishore Kumar and a music piece given by Pancham Da (R.D Burman). This song makes us to think on the 2 faced world. But apart from this what a melody...




Music is my life; it is a medicine which cures my mind & soul. There are very few people who can blend work & pleasure. I would like to be one of those few who can turn their pleasure into work and work into pleasure. With this in mind I would like to start my own Indian Classical music classes where I can impart the little knowledge that I have, to such young people who love and worship music as I do. 





2 comments: